The longest New Year's Meme ever...courtesy of Heth at From Under the Laundry Pile (http://laundrypile.blogspot.com/, CRUD I wish I could figure out how to do those cute links without the entire URL showing! Oh well.)
If you find yourself nodding off, I won't be offended if you skip on to something more interesting...like Antique Mommy or BigMama or BooMama or Don't Try This At Home or This Little Blog of Mine or... pretty much anybody else.
1. What did you do in 2006 that you had never done before? Been the only 40-year-old woman on the swingset. Divorced my husband of 15 years. BLOGGED!
2.Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? My New Year's WHAT? Just for the record, I gave up New Years promises to myself LONG ago. Official definition of "Resolution":
a formal expression of opinion, will, or intent.
AND another definition I thought was interesting:
the process or capability of making distinguishable the individual parts of an object.
Probably more than you ever wanted to know...but it was eye-opening (to me, anyway :D) to realize that thinking about "resolutions" entailed breaking down your life; clarifying and simplifying.
ummmm, YAH! I think most of us need that.
As for making more? Not on New Years. But I think I will try to get up EVERY DAY and resolve to do my best. Right after I pray and ask for forgiveness for all my screw-ups from yesterday. Arrggh!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No. Unfortunately, most of my friends/family are past this stage.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No one close to me. Old friend I hadn't seen in awhile, First exhusbands' father and a wonderful lady from church.
5. What countries did you visit? WOW...I can't afford to pay ATTENTION, much less travel.
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006? More self control, more time with my children, more income so I don't have to worry, more hours in a day, more energy...can I quit now?
7. What dates will remain etched in your memory and why? September 19th - my baby's first day of school *sob*! June 28th - the last day I saw my husband. October 5th - The day MG said "Hey, if you don't have any other plans for the rest of your life, will you marry me?"
8. What's your biggest achievement of the year? Survival! Seriously! losing my job and having to give notice to my landlords in the same week was the scariest, harriest, leap of faith I have ever taken. God was right there and totally worked it out.
'Course I knew He would - but it didn't keep me from being scared.
9. What was your biggest failure? Kind of a tie between losing my job and filing divorce papers.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Not really. Dehydrated myself a few times, but nothing serious. A few colds and one stomach bug. That's about it. And HOLY COW am I grateful!! With four kids, you never know WHAT's coming down the pike.
11.What was the best thing you bought? I didn't buy it...but ended up with it. My aunt bought me a small car (Taurus SHO) because the gas for the Suburban was sending me to the poor house at top speed. Which is how I usually drive. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My son went from a .78 GPA at the end of last school year to a B average now at his new Charter school! BooooYah!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and disgusted? A friend I let stay with me for Awhile who racked up porno charges on the Pay-Per-View. Yah...I'm an idiot.
14. Where did most of your money go? Gas - 30 minute commute one way to work.
15. What did you get really really excited about? The possibility of being able to begin my Midwifery education.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006? Rascal Flatts - "What Hurts The Most".
17. Compared to this time last year are you? a)happier or sadder? Happier for sure. b)fatter or thinner? Thinner - Praise God for Gastric Bypass Surgery! c)richer or poorer? Richer - relatively.
18. What do you wish you had done more of? More Doing what I know is right.
19. What do you wish you had done less of? Less Raging, Less dating.
20. How will you be spending New Year's Eve? Working "Good evening, How may I direct your call?"
21. Did you fall in love in 2006? Yes, but I wouldn't call it "Falling"..it grew, steadily over time.
22. What was your favorite TV program? House
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? I can't think of anyone I HATE.
24. What was the best book you read? "God's Jewels are Crystalized Tears" and "Normal is Just a Setting on Your Dryer". Barbara Johnson is wonderful.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Gretchen Wilson - I'm just a rebel like that.
26. What did you want and get? I wanted to go to The Pacific Gospel Music Association Festival...And it was tough, but I did it. I also wanted MG to be a part of my life - and he chose me. He chose me, he chose me, he chose me...
27. What did you not want and not get? I wanted a bicycle...but so far, no luck. Just have to keep waiting, I guess.
28. What was your favorite film this year? Chronicles of Narnia...hands down!
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? Went on my FIRST EVER limo ride with my family and YUP, I was FORTY.
30. What one thing would have made your year measurably more satisfying? SELF CONTROL. WOW, I mess up SO bad when it comes to that Fruit of the Spirit.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion in 2006? My personal style this year was "Too-skinny-for-fat-clothes, too-broke-to-buy-new-clothes". Kinda Baggy, polyester hip-gop wannabe style. :D
32. What kept you sane? One thing was MG. I knew I could always pick up the phone and he would be there for me, no matter what. Even before we decided to make a go of the "relationship", we talked for hours on the phone. Second was my Christ. When I think I'm losing it and I just can't go on, His Word brings me back to reality. Third, My kiddos. When I sit and look at them, I remember what is important in this life. Of course, they are one of the big reasons I go INSANE every once in awhile, too.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Hmmmm, Who do I "fancy"? LOADED question. But you know, they are all just Eye-candy. Fluff. Fantasy. I'm more of a reality-based person. Why should I lust after George Clooney or envy Angelina Jolie when MG is always by my side saying "Have I told you today how much I love you?"...or my kids are wrapping little arms around my neck whispering "I Love you Mommy"? I wouldn't give that up for the WORLD!!
34. What political issue stirred you the most? None. I suppose I should care more. It all just seems so far away...like there is nothing I can do about all that crud anyway, you know? Sure I could rage and holler about wars and laws that need to be changed...but I'd rather try to make a difference here where I can.
35. Who did you miss? I miss my foster kids and wonder where they are...if they are alright.
I miss my grandmother. I miss my mother. http://douglassmom.blogspot.com/2006/11/hi-friends.html
36. Who was the best new person you met? I have met so many this year! I can't decide who is best! Don't put this pressure on me...I might crack! ok...ok...ummmm...All my co-workers, cuz I just started this job in April. My neighbor Mol (Who is moving away TODAY! Waaah!) and ALL my WONDERFUL BLogger friends! :D
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006. Never puke with your glasses on. http://douglassmom.blogspot.com/2006/12/you-thought-dolphin-corpse-story-was.html
OK, seriously now. I think the greatest lesson is that if God tells you to do something, you'd better LISTEN!
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. From Rascal Flatts "He Ain't the Leavin' Kind" :
No matter what you do
No matter where you go
He's always right there with you
Even from those you don't believe
And wanna leave him behind
He ain't the leavin' kind