Monday, April 28, 2014

Being a child of the 80's

Being a child of the 80's, there are so many songs that bring back the angst of those teenage years.
I had this one incredible boyfriend.  He would do anything for me; I was more precious to him than he could express.
When he moved away, this song would always remind me of him.  True love hurts incredibly when it is interrupted.

About 5 years ago, we reconnected on Facebook.  This simple message came across with the friend request...
"I was 17 and SO in love with you!"
Eventually, he came to live with me.  But unfortunately, I was still hung up on someone else.  Someone who ended up proving what a drunk jerk he was and walking out on me with my best friend.  While I was figuring out my hangup was a superjerk, I lost the one who loved me.  Truly loved me.

I tried to call him back.  I apologized, begged and pleaded.  But he did not want to be hurt again.  And I don't blame him, really.  So I counted myself lucky to just be his friend.  We talked every day.

Then - nothing.

He disappeared.

I found out later, he had a massive stroke.  At 43 years of age.  Now disabled, he lives with family who will not allow him to talk to me.  He can only say a few words.  Cannot use his hands well enough to text or be on the computer.  Can only walk with a walker.

I miss him.  I miss the man he was.  I miss the way he treated me.  And I will forever kick myself for not being there when he needed me, for walking out on him, for hurting him.  When all he wanted was to be loved. When all he wanted was me...

My biggest regret.

No comments: