Friday, April 10, 2009

PAD 10 - Friday

"Write a poem about Friday. Do you like Fridays? Despise Fridays? Of course, you can also write about something that happened on a Friday--or write an ode to Fridays".

It happened on a Friday

School was out for the summer
that day in 2005.
I just wanted to lay in my bed
the morning news live.

The children were arguing
one child began to yell "NO!"
Here comes the oldest up the stairs
to tell me his "tale of woe".

Tho' I expected to hear him
tell of something done wrong,
I would never have guessed that one minute
could suddenly become so long.

For in that one heart breaking instant
On a Friday morning in June.
The world I lived in stopped turning,
our future was lying in ruin.

My son and my daughter unraveled
a truth that was so hard to tell;
The past year of our lives, their father
had been putting my daughter through hell.

That Friday began the a new life for me
one of fear, mistrust and doubt.
Tears, police, plea bargains, prison;
things I never wanted to know about.


No comments: