Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Got this great list on an email...

You've probably seen this list before. If you have a few email friends. I've gotten it several times, but it was a forward, you know. And I don't always read those...especially if they are long. I'm sorry. Hope ya'll will forgive me.

But tonight I took the time to read this one. And I had to throw a few of my own comments in. Cuz I have this condition that doesn't allow me to keep my mouth shut. Not quite Turrets' syndrome...but may be working that way.

I Believe...

That just because two people argue,
doesn't mean they don't love each other.
And just because they don't argue,
doesn't mean they do love each other.

Have you ever hung around with a couple that just BICKERS all the time. And you wonder "What in the HECK is up with THIS?!?" I discovered that SOME people LIKE it. That's the way they relate to eachother. Of course, I am definitely NOT in this catagory. I know that arguments happen. But constantly? Ummmm, NO.

I Believe...
That we don't have to change friends if we understand that friends change.

You know what? I can't change friends. I only have a couple. And the ones I DO have know too much. I'd have to kill them if I decided I didn't want to have them as a friend any more.
I'm just sayin'...

I Believe...
That no matter how good a friend is, they're going to hurt you every once in a while and you must forgive them for that.

EVERYBODY hurts you. Not just friends. Kids. Parents. Coworkers. Neighbors. If we don't forgive them? We only hurt ourselves. Grudges get heavy after awhile and the reality is that 99% of the time...they don't even realize what they've done.
I Believe...
That true friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance.
Same goes for true love.
Maybe...maybe not. You'll have to pardon me if I disagree with this one. People are people. They get too busy. They move on and leave you behind. And "true loves?" most of them cave under temptation. Therewith, comes the end. True love or no... Distance or no...
I Believe...
That you can do something in an instant that will give you heartache for life.

Never done this myself. But I know many people for whom this is true. I've decided to let God carry my "heartaches". His shoulders are bigger than mine. And then I pray every day that He will cause me to keep the lessons learned sharp in my brain so that I won't screw up again.

I Believe...
That it's taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.

I wouldn't know...I'm not there yet. May not EVER get there. May just have to be happy with who I am.

I Believe...
That you should always leave loved ones with loving words. It may be the last time you see them.

This one...hits me where I live. I've seen some cruddy stuff in this life. Watched one friend end his life with the words "God D$#% It all!" The last words I ever said to my ex's face were "Drive careful". I've made a change in the last few years...to make this belief my MANTRA. Want to make sure everyone who is important to me KNOWS it. Without a doubt. 100%! So I tell them and show them and hug them and tell them again until they are sick of hearing it.

I Believe...
That you can keep going long after you think you can't.

WHHHHHOOOOAAH YES! There have been many days when the sun rose and set...even though my brain never did.

I Believe...
That we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel.

Trying to teach my kids this. Just because we feel like crud doesn't mean you have the right to make others feel like crud. No excuses...

I Believe....
That either you control your attitude or it controls you.

I can't control my attitude sometimes. I just have to give myself a time out or shove it down.
I Believe...
That heroes are the people who do what has to be done when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences.

That's why my son is my hero. For telling the "secret" when he knew it would be the end of our family. Why my Loverboy is my hero. For keeping his dad home with him instead of sending him to a nursing home even though watching the decline is more painful than I can imagine.

I Believe...
That money is a lousy way of keeping score.

OK...but can I at least TRY?!?!

I Believe...
That my best friend and I can do anything, or nothing, and have the best time.

Isn't that what "best friends" are about? I've also discovered that "best friends" should not keep score...of how often I have gone to YOUR house and YOU never come to MINE; of who owes who $20...to me, the friendship is worth millions more than 20 measly dollars. If I couldn't afford to give it, I wouldn't give it.

I Believe...
That sometimes the people you expect to kick you When you're down, will be the ones to help you get back up.

Can't vouch for this one. Because it's usually the ones who LOVE me that I expect to pick me up...WHO KICK ME! And I wonder what in the world happened, I thought I knew you and who is this person anyway?
I Believe...
That sometimes when I'm angry I have the right to be angry,
but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.

Another one I'm trying to teach my kiddos. Bible verse says "Be angry but don't SIN." (Eph 4:26) Kind of a hard concept to get across to miniature me's - who have a hard time controlling their mouths.

I Believe...
That maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had,
and what you've learned from them.....and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.
YES! in many ways sometimes I think my Number One Son is more mature than I am. Although I do pretend very well.

I Believe...
That it isn't always enough to be forgiven by others.
Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
All you can do...is all you can do. And all you can do is enough. As long as you do what you can do...say sorry, make amends, give a hug, ask for forgiveness...then it's up to the other person to do their part in the forgiving. And if they can't or won't or don't? You can't make them. So you have to let it go. And when they have forgiven you? They don't WANT YOU TO HANG ON TO IT AND TORTURE YOURSELF FOREVER. God doesn't want you to do that either. Your parents don't want you to. Your kids don't want you to. But you are the only one who can CUT IT LOOSE. Ain't no one who can do it for you...

I Believe...
That no matter how bad your heart is broken the world doesn't stop for your grief.

Remember that Carpenters song? "Why does my heart go on beating, why do these eyes of mine cry? Don't they know, it's the end of the world? It ended when you said goodbye." Used to have that album. Wish I still did. Have that song memorized though. Like I said before (up above here...uhhh, somewhere) Life doesn't stop just because you want it to.

I Believe...
That our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.

Making the proper choices...or correcting ourselves when we make IMPROPER choices. But the reality is that sometimes, you just can't recover. So you choose a different path...a modified path. And try to make the best of THAT situation. Which reminds me of a song...

I Believe...
That you shouldn't be so eager to find out a secret. It could change your life Forever.

And that sometimes...you HAVE to know the secret, even if you don't want to.

I Believe...
Two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different.

Try having a traffic accident and asking the witnesses to recall what they saw. We each view thing from our own perspective. And sometimes we only see what we WANT to see...see?

I Believe...
That your life can be changed in a matter of hours by people who don't even know you.

Uhhhh, YAH!?! Try getting my insurance to cover a hernia repair. One minute I think AWESOME, I'm gonna get this thing closed up over Christmas break. By that afternoon, I'm starting to realize that I may have to walk around with my guts on the OUTSIDE of my abdominal muscles for several months yet.

I Believe...
That even when you think you have no more to give, if a friend cries out to you........you will find the strength to help.

And no matter how tired you are, you can always wake up to help your child. Even if part of you does want to strangle them.

I Believe...
That credentials on the wall do not make you a decent human being.

YAH! just look at me! I've got TWO certificates on my wall now and I ain't decent at all! he he

thanks for listening to my diatribe. Needed to brain dump tonight.

No comments: