Sunday, June 10, 2007

MG, Might Warrior Fisherman

THE GREAT AMAZING FISHING TRIP

This fishing trip was SO cool. I got a chance to go out in the ocean with my Dad as Captain, My sister as first mate and MG and me as...uhhh, I dunno, Deckhands? Of course, there isn't alot of "deck" to "hand" in a 22 foot boat.

ANYWAY, here's some pictures to share and a fish story!


This one is the view from the beach before we launched into that surf to head out. The day was BEAUTIFUL! It's about 7:30 in the morning.


We "ran" for awhile up next to this cape and the ocean was flat. Just like glass. Looked like you could get out and walk on it.

Here's a picture of the captain just driving along. He is SO in his element here! He would live on the water if he could. He's been doing this for 50 years and he built this boat we are in.

We fished for awhile around in a kelp bed and brought in quite a few bass and a couple of ling cod. Actually, I caught the very first fish and it was a NICE ling cod. So I was all like "Nah, nah, nah, I'm the master fisherman!" MG was starting to think he was never going to hear the end of it. Cuz I'm like that. Sometimes...

OK, no comments about the Johnson.

And here's "the rest of the catch". Sorry these pictures are so small. It was my first attempt at cell phone picture taking.

And here is my handsome guy just after we pulled the crab pots and were heading back toward the beach.

AND HERE is the catch of the day! We were just bobbing around near that rock you see in the background and trying to hook up a few more bass when - all of a sudden....

WHAM!

It hit his little bitty trout pole with 10 lb test line and a BARBLESS hook! He fought it for about 15 minutes. As soon as the fish saw the boat it would TAKE off, peeling line off the reel. He would pull it back in little by little. It jumped and flashed in the sun. WHAT a gorgeous fish. I actually took a picture of the water while he was fighting it because I NEVER in a MILLION years thought he would get that thing in the boat.

BUT here she is. Laying on the floorboards! Right at the last second, the line snapped. The looks on all of our faces was just pure and simple OH CRAP! But Dad had his gaff hook ready and just wildly swung at the stunned fish as it lay near the surface. And he caught it.

When he brought that gorgeous fish up over the side and dropped her on the floor we all just cheered! Could not believe it! My dad said there were just SO many things he could not believe about the way that that fish was caught. It was pretty much a miracle.

The best part about it for me was seeing the look on MG's face. His grin and chuckle, shaking his head and smiling over and over. He was KING FISHERMAN of the day. It was worth it to lose my "crown" of the best fish for the trip just to watch him be so tickled over that fish.

Too much fun!


No comments: