Friday, June 15, 2007

Daddy's Day TT


Thirteen Things about JD's Daddy.


1.
He can fix anything with spit and duct tape.
2. OH, and the Leatherman he ALWAYS carries in his pocket. If you need a scissor, or pliers or a nail file, he's got it on that thing. When I was a kid, he always had a Boy Scout knife.
3. He resoled the SAME pair of moc's at least 5 times. I swear, he wore them until I was 12 or 13. We were poor. Can you tell?
4. And the same hornrimmed glasses he got in the military. Wired and duct taped together. His four daughters and his wife always came first.
5. I have only seen him cry twice. When his dad died and when he had kidney stones. But that doesn't mean he's a big tuffy. We all knew we could wrap Daddy around our little finger.
6. He has a secret dream of leaving his "mark" on this world. He once bought a truck with the hope of starting his own trucking company.
7. I don't think he realizes that his handcrafted boats and oars are something that NO one else can do. Or how special he is...
8. He has been interviewed and/or the focus of an article in National Fisherman several times, Wooden Boat magazine, The Coast Magazine and will soon be in Boating magazine.
9. He loves Gospel music and takes every chance he can to hand out CD's. It is his way of sharing his faith without being pushy. I honor him for that.
10. He loves me always, no matter what I do, where I go or what I've said. He may not like it, and he'll let me know he doesn't like it. But he loves me. I know.
11. He has his own "fan club". Granchildren follow him like the Pied Piper because he treats them like grown ups or at LEAST just lets them be kids. The other day, when he and mom were keeping my kids, my mom was in the in the bedroom getting ready for church after feeding the grandkids and getting them all ready. She comes out into the living room to find them outside PLAYING IN THE DIRT piles around their new home. She just about fainted.
12. He has the weirdest sense of humor. Once we were all eating at a local restaurant when a local logger came in on crutches. He had just lost his leg below the ankle due to a logging accident. My dad immediately hollers "SO, Billy! They gonna buy you a wheel for that thing?"
HOLY cow! talk about crawling under the table from embarassment. But that was how my dad deals with things - face it up front.
13. He is also very sarcastic when he is irritated. Which I did to him ALOT when I was a teenager. Hmmmm, maybe that's where I get that sarcastic streak.

Happy Father's Day, Daddy. I wouldn't be here without you.



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your father and a great TT post. Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

Your Dad sounds like a wonderful man.
Love how you put he could fix anything with duct tape and spit. My husband's the same way.

Thank you for sharing this great tribute to your Daddy! :)

Have a fun weekend!

Anonymous said...

He is lucky to have such an adoring wife. =) I enjoyed reading this thirteen, thanks for sharing.