Thursday, March 15, 2007

TT #24 - Ghosts from the past


Thirteen People from my past that I wonder about.



1. My first husband. I know his dad past away in November. But that's about it. He'll have his 60th birthday in July of this year. Wow.
2. The guys on my "Team" in truck driving school ~ class of 10/1989 Commercial Driver Training. I can't remember their names, but I can picture their faces as clear as day...specifically their looks of terror as they flew around the sleeper while I was learning to shift.
3. My best friend in grade school, Ann Gallagher. She was the local veterinarians daughter and she had the funniest laugh! She moved away before we got into high school.
4. Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to my best friend in high school, Wendy (Gwen). She was Valedictorian of our class. Went off to a fancy private college in California, married a serviceman, had a baby, got divorced, moved to Texas, then Florida and the last I heard from her was about 5 years ago; she was working for Match Dot Com.
5. I wonder how my foster kids are. I had three; two girls and a boy. Please, God, please keep them safe.
6. My first real "boyfriend" Scott. Met him when I was 16 and we dated off and on till I was 18.
7. The guy I had a MAJOR crush on in high school. Kurt. He's probably bald and fat and a used car salesman.
8. One of Teachers from my truck driving school; Ron. I think I scared about 8 years off his life, so he's probably dead by now.
9. An awesome friend named Charlotte. Nicknamed Pinky. My sister and I were both friends with her; she was right in between us in age. Last I heard she was living in Georgia. I've always wondered what happened to her. I think I was 12 the last time I saw her.
10. My grandfather's girlfriend. I've never met her, but I know she hurt my mother and my aunts after my Papaw's funeral. She would not even let them in his house nor let them take any mementos of him. And I'd like to give her a piece of my mind. Like I have any to spare. I'm just sayin'.
11. My 8th grade teacher. I remember his first name was Doug. WOW, he was good looking. We had a student auction to raise money for our class graduation party. He bought me. Maybe he felt sorry for me because no one else was bidding on this chubby little outcast. But I had to wash and wax his blue Ranger pickup truck and memorize Johnny Horton's song "1814" and sing it in front of my classmates.

In Eighteen-fourteen, we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British in a town in New Orleans

We fired our guns and the British kept a-comin’
There wasn’t nigh as many as there was a while ago
We fired once more and they began to runnin’
On down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico


It's longer than that...trust me! Like six verses or something close. ERk!
12. My voice teacher, Mrs. Sears. She's probably gone by now; she was mid-50's when she was instructing me on how to sing in Italian. They have lots of vowels in their language, you know. OK...well NOW you know.
13. An online friend named Echo. She was in Arizona and we emailed for about a year. I miss her friendship and often wonder how she is doing.

Yes, I have tried to look these people up online without success. Women change their names when they get married and most services want $$ to release information. Plus, it's always awkward to email or call someone and say "Gee, don't know if you are the right person or not, but I'm looking for..."

Maybe some day I'll work up the nerve.



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



1 comment:

Karianne said...

I wish that my nickname was Pinky! I mostly wonder about people that I've had falling outs with. And I don't wonder nice things either. I mostly wonder if they have figured out that I was right! Oh well.