Sunday, January 21, 2007

My very first ever blog carnival - CHBM


AND THE QUESTION OF THE WEEK IS....
"Who's your favorite Role Model and Why?"
The No-contest, hands-down winner is not a TV personality or a religious figure. She's not famous or well-known. And if you read many of my posts, you will find I have written about her before. **warning...mushy post! Kleenex alert!**
My grandmother. Gramma. "Just Plain" Gramma. Not Grandma Dorothy or Gramma Emma or Grandma Betty...but "Just plain", nothing special, I'm-just-me Gramma.
And that's how she thought of herself. Always working hard behind the scenes; always pitching in to serve whenever needed yet never EVER calling attention to herself. True humility, dependability and a steadfast follower of Christ; sometimes I miss her more than words can say.
And from the way I describe her, you would think she was perfect, wouldn't you? As a child, I can remember thinking that she was. How could a mortal never make a mistake? How does one attain that level of perfection?
When I grew up a little and got to know her as a friend as well as a grandmother, I came to realize that she wasn't "perfect". As she shared her challenges with me, she was afraid I would find her weak. Not so! In fact, it only served to make her stronger in my eyes.
Yes, she had made mistakes in her life. Yes, she had gotten angry and said things she wished she hadn't. Yes, her faith had wavered. Yet she was strong enough to admit when she was wrong; strong enough to go to someone and apologize and strong enough to share it with me so I could learn. Though it must have been terribly painful for her, she never tried to hide the fact that she had a child who died at the age of 3 months and even answered my questions about it one time when I got up the nerve to ask.
The songs she taught us as our Sunday School and Vacation Bible school teacher have been so deeply ingrained in my head that it will be a miracle if I ever forget them. I have taught most of them to my kids to try to carry on the legacy. She took time twice a year to tend both family cemetery plots; weeding and scrubbing with care and respect.
She wasn't a gourmet chef, but when it came to down-home cooking and canning/preserving, my Gram was queen of the kitchen. I've already shared about the cooked chocolate pudding and tuna sandwiches. In the fall, there was a constant pressure cooker on the stove and glass jars covering every available surface.
The housework was never-ending (she even ironed the bedsheets and my grandpa's JEANS, for Pete's sake!) and she had chores on the dairy farm and fishing boat, as well.
She sewed quite a bit as a young mother, from what I'm told. But there were so many other tasks to be done that sewing was no longer needed as her children grew. However, she did sew a set of receiving blankets and matching baby quilt for my second child (named after her husband). I think it was the last thing she ever stitched. Her mate of almost 50 years died 3 months later.
Her prayers and her letters were constants in my life. I KNEW Gram was praying for me and I KNEW I would get a letter from her every week and a card for every birthday and anniversary.
I can sometimes still feel her patting my cheek with her rough work-worn hands, see that fluffy blue-white hair (she was completely gray from the age of 18) and hear her muttering "Grrrrrr" under her breath when she discovered the deer had jumped the fence into her 1/2 acre garden and nibbled her strawberries.
She passed on quickly and quietly in her own home two years ago. Just like she wanted. She was adamant that she not be in a nursing home or have anyone stay with her. She was longing to go to be with Gramp; she missed him desperately.
Why do I want to be like her? Here is my prayer...
That I may have her sweet spirit.
That I may emulate her ability to handle any situation without raising her voice.
Her servants' heart and attitude and the humility to never ask for thanks or look for "credit" is something I will continue to strive for.
And that I can set an example (as she did) for my children, grand children and my great-grand children of honor, unconditional love and a steadfast relationship with My Heavenly Father.

4 comments:

Karianne said...

what an honor to have her in your life. and what a beautiful tribute

Stef said...

Janean,
I'm excited to meet you as part of the Valentine's Day Goody Swap!
When you have time, please send me your info! I look forward to hearing from you,
Stephanie

Winnie said...

Another Jenean!!!! And you're name is almost spelled like mine :) I followed your link from the Valentine Swap page. You even live in my home state. I grew up in Selma, Oregon, just 30 miles outside of Grants Pass.

devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

Your Gramma sounds like such an amazing woman. I love the qualities the people of our grandparents' generation possessed, and they are very good traits to aspire to.

Just here via the carnival.