Saturday, December 09, 2006

Quilt show part 1

Thought I would share some of my quilt projects. Have a couple more done that I will show as soon as I get pics taken. These pictures aren't the best, but you'll get the general idea. :D

The first one up is one my sisters and I put together for my dad. Each square represents something about him and his life. The upper right square is a poem the youngest sister wrote. A neice did the funky looking boat/fish blue and white square in the second row. All his daughters and grandchildren's names are in the "Grampa/Dad" block. Wedding rings in the third row to celebrate their 40+ years of marriage. I even got Gold lame' on the edges of the Bible in the first block.

This next one is one I did for my sister for her birthday one year. The pattern was called "Track and Trail" and I wanted to let her know how proud I was of her even though her life path seems to change every once in awhile.


This one was the first "Family" project quilt we took on for my Grandparents. The history of the Pacific City Dory fleet and my grandfather's boats in particular. The bottom block with the cat represents my grandmother (her CB handle was "Alley Cat"). The center block was my creation - a scene of the beach where I grew up and where they launch the dorys off the beach. And you can't see it in this picture, but each small square with a little green boat has names of the boats in the Dory fleet. My grandmother kept a list.


Finally, one I did for my sister last year for Christmas. It's backed in purple tye-dyed fleece. I didn't bother to put a batt in it - the fleece was enough padding.



What got me going on this is that I was able to spend all day yesterday finishing a quilt. Yes, I got my sewing machine fixed. It's running better than she ever has. I'm glad. The sentimental value on that machine is beyond measure.

Anyway, it felt so good to just take a day creating.

Even though I have to spend today cleaning up the mess my kids left all over the house while I was creating. :P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely. You didn't list quilting among your abilities. You should have! I can't quilt even the tiniest bit, sewing machine or not. Wonderful work!

Karianne said...

I am so jealous of your talent! I took a quilting class years ago and enjoyed it but didn't keep it up. Great job.

Ginabee said...

You do so do great work. I really like the commemorative quilt. Excellent job on the gold lame it is SO hard to work with. Thanks for sharing.