Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Thursday Thirteen #61-1
Well, I've seen The Thursday Thirteen on other peoples' sites and thought it sounded like fun, so thought I would give it a whirl.
The tough part is thinking up 13 things that are kind of on the same subject to tell you about myself. Hmmmmm....I KNOW!! 13 jobs I have had...
1) Fish packer / filetter - First "Real" job I ever had. Made $3.00 and hour! Packing salmon in ice in 700 lb. boxes. Cold (ice, yah!), nasty (fish blood and scales dried on you at the end of the shift..which lasted from 8 - 20 hours) and a WHOLE lotta work!
2) Babysitter - tried not to do this one too often. Always ended up getting the "kids from He**! One set in particular whipped me repeatedly with a rubber shark and tried to rip my shirt off me in shreds. I guess I was lucky, though, because they chased my girlfriend with an axe when it was her turn and for my sister, they threw a pregnant cat through a plate glass window.
3) Truck Driver - Drove long-haul for about 18 months and hauled wood chips for about 3 months (till I damaged the truck and they fired my hiney!).
4) Dinner cook - to order, down-home, deepfried cookin'! 4 years.
5) Dishwasher - same restaurant, but did this as a second job later on.
6) Hospital Admitting - Two different hospitals. ER admitting was harder...never knew what was gonna come through those swinging doors. Especially after midnight! Met Judah there once...he was angry at us for killing his brother Jesus. I mean REALLY angry. Got to use the "panic" button to call 911 that night. WOW!
7) State Police Dispatch - Very interesting job! would have LOVED to keep this one, but it was a "limited duration" position.
8) Receptionist - Smile, answer phones and "provide excellent customer service". Hay...it pays the bills!
9) Data Entry - BOOOORRRRING! entered data on rubber/silicone airplane part inventory.
10) School "lunch lady" - cooked, served, washed their dishes. Used to make a contest out how many trays had GUM stuck on them. Aargh!
11) Foster Parent - Nerve racking, sleep depriving, extremely rewarding.
12) Commercial fishing vessel deckhand/puller - my first job, working on my dad's boat. Cleaned the fish (which probably explains my interest in biology) and helped pull them into the boat. I loved it! Still do...
13) Maid - both at a motel and at a camping resort that rented out travel trailers. The motel was interesting because you never knew WHAT you were going to find left in the rooms...I'll leave that to your imagination. I didn't care for the campground one much because cleaning them also meant pumping the "black water" and "grey water" tanks. Had the nozzle on the pumper come disconnected a few times. I've tried to block those experiences from my memory, thank you very much.
So there's a little bit about me! This was fun! Wonder what I'll write about next week....
Have a good one!