Friday, August 04, 2006

Reminisce

Hey! How's everyone today?
Even though I don't want to do quizzes on here very much, I did want to share this one with you. Because it has to do with our past; thinking back to how things used to be and how far we have come.
Sometimes, I know, I get so caught up in the hassle of "today", the "here-and-now", that I forget to look back and see the "where-did-I-used-to-be" and the "GEE-I'm-glad-I'm-not-there-anymore!"
So maybe while you laugh at my "First Time" answers and learn a little about me, take a moment to think back to your first car or first love. I hope it heals...

1. Who was your first prom date? OK...you're probably going to think this is REALLY weird, but I was never allowed to go to my proms or ANY dance, for that matter. Dancing leads to "other things", you know! ;P

2. Who was your first roommate? Carolyn and Sam, when I got my first divorce. We lived over a restaurant and lounge. HOW handy was that? Can't count the number of times I crawled up those stairs. :D

3. What alcoholic beverage did you drink when you got drunk the first time? Beer...kegger in a field. Sicker than a dog. Ended up laying across the backseat of my first car with one door open throwing up...till someone got my keys and decided to "borrow" my car to take some people home. I have no idea who it was...and I guess it wasn't technically stealing, because I WAS in the back seat. Although I couldn't have raised a FINGER to stop them. Learned a BIG lesson that night!

4. What was your first job? Packing salmon in ice and filleting sea bass. Used to work for 12 - 14 hours straight for $3.50 an hour and go home with fish scales stuck all over me. That's also where I learned about gender discrimination. Employees were supposed to be called in to work by seniority (I was 2nd) and my grandfather came to sell his fish to discover that everyone was there EXCEPT me. So he threatened to boycott them and take half the fishing fleet with him if they didn't shape up. I was pretty embarrassed...but also honored. Another big lesson.

5. What was your first car? 1970 Gran Torino. PARENTING TIP...never give a 17 year old girl a 351 Windsor. I got AIRBORNE a few times :D

6. When did you go to your first funeral? My best friend and mentor died of stomach cancer when I was 16. I think I probably went to my great grandfather's funeral when I was 12...but I remember Gene's Memorial a LOT more vividly.

7. How old were you when you first moved away from your hometown? I ran away from home at 17...but I only went about 5 miles away to the next town. Didn't ENTIRELY leave the area until I was about 26.

8. Who was your first grade teacher?I remember my kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Melendy. But I can't for the life of me remember my first grade teacher's name. I can picture her in my mind as clear as day. Hmmmm I'll have to go look that one up.

9. Where did you go on your first ride on an airplane? on my FIRST and ONLY ride on an airplane, I flew to Phoenix in July and returned. Don't even ask my why...it was pretty dumb.

10. When you snuck out of your house for the first time, who was it with? My cousin Guy. We went to the beach and walked in the moonlight. WOW did I get in trouble for that!!

11. Who was your first Best Friend and are you still friends with them? I had several friends in elementary school that I wonder about sometimes. Megan, Ann, Charley. But my closest friend in high school was Wendy. No, we aren't still friends, unfortunately. We've touched eachother's lives once or twice in the last 20 years, but I don't even know for sure where she is anymore.

12. Where did you live the first time you moved out of your parents house? One of the DUMBER moves of my lifetime...I pulled all my savings out of the bank, spent most of it on a motel room for 3 days, then put the rest down for a deposit on a crappy little apartment. I had no furniture, no money and no food...but I had a roof over my head, I guess. Sometimes, it's amazing what one does at 17!

13. Who is the first person you call when you have a bad day? My best friend and love of my life, Rick, or my buddy for life, Teresa. If it weren't for the two of them in my life, I would be locked up in an asylum or dead by now.

14. Who's wedding were you in the first time you were a bridesmaid or a groomsmen? Funny thing, the only time I've been in a wedding (besides my own two) was to sing. I've never been a bridesmaid or maid of honor or anything like that. Hmmmm...I'm the REVERSE of that old saying "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride." And that's NOT a GOOD thing. Phew...

15. What is the first thing you do in the morning? Besides break up a fight between my kids...which is usually what wakes me up? I turn on Good Day Oregon (Andy Carson is the BEST!) and make coffee!

16. What was the first concert you ever went to? The one and ONLY concert I've ever gone to that was NOT a gospel concert was Alabama and Kathy Mattea. I was 8 months pregnant at the time and the seats we got were 8 rows apart. GOOD GRIEF!! Plus the baby HATED the sound vibrations and practically beat me up from the inside. I tried wrapping my coat around my tummy but finally had to leave.
I go to gospel concerts all the time, though. I LOVE 4 part harmony with a deep vibrating bass and I love to sing along. I have lots of good friends who are gospel music artists...if you want one, I can hook you up. Drop me a line!...

17. First tattoo or piercing? My ex and I used to try to do something REALLY memorable for our anniversary each year. So I think it was the second anniversary we got the tattoos. I got my ears pierced for the first time when I was 12...it was a gift for my 8th grade graduation.

18. First celebrity crush? I don't know if you remember him or not, but Leif Erickson!!

19. Age of first kiss? I don't remember my first kiss (I know, I know...I should be ashamed!) But I will tell you about my first real date. He called to ask me out and couldn't remember my name. So he didn't get to talk to me the first time he called. He took me out in a super-high 4 WD pickup so I really looked graceful getting in and out. THEN he took me to a seafood restaurant (I HATE seafood). BUT I was still smiling and shy so I didn't say anything. When we ordered, I was trying to be all "romantic" and said "I'll have whatever you're having". HOLY COW! I got the biggest salad I'd ever seen with about a half pound of SHRIMP (Remember, Seafood is YUCKY!!) AND tomato quarters all the way around the rim of the huge shell-shaped bowl. Oh, by the way, tomatoes make me gag!! :D
After I picked gracefully at dinner, we went to a boat-burning to protest the early close of the commercial fishing season and low fish-buying prices. Pretty memorable, huh?

20. First love? Guy. He was about five years older than me, so my parents had a FIT. But I can't recall any male I've dated/married that they actually HAVE liked.

21. Are you still in love with your first love? No. He has a soft spot in my heart, but I don't think we could have made a life together. Sometimes my life reminds me of that country song I think Garth Brooks did.."I thank God for unanswered prayers." I am grateful for how my life has run. If I hadn't married my first husband, I wouldn't be the person I am today. If I hadn't married my second husband, I wouldn't have my four wonderful children who are my reason for living.

Well, did it bring back any memories? I hope so. Have a gorgeous day filled with promise and hope for the future!! JD

No comments: