Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Commentary on 21 hints to a happier life...

I received this in an email not long ago. I imagine it started with an original author...then others added their two cents as the list was passed around. Well, I wanted to share it with you, but if you know me, you know I HAVE to add my "two cents" as well. :D LOL

ONE. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully. *The secret to good customer service anywhere you work. It will make you an invaluable employee*
TWO. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other. *including sex. Experience has taught me that that old adage is true...When it comes to relationships, it's ALWAYS best to be friends first!*
THREE. Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want. *I definitely agree here. You can NEVER believe all you hear. If you spend all you have, you'll be in the same boat I am! ;P And if I slept all I wanted, I'd never see my kids. Sometimes the pressures of life can overtake you so much that it is easier to simply sleep than deal with it. I think that's the definition of depression...*
FOUR. ! When you say, "I love you," mean it.
FIVE. When you say, "I'm sorry," look the person in the eye. *and NEVER add "BUT you...right behind "I'm sorry". It totally cancels out the apology!*
SIX. Be engaged at least six months before you get married.
SEVEN. Believe in love at first sight. *I'm afraid I can't agree here. See number two...*
EIGHT. Never laugh at anyone's dream. People who don't have dreams don't have much. *there have been times in my life when I have had no dreams. Simply living in the moment and surviving each day. Sometimes that happens...but it is IMPERATIVE, once survival mode has passed, that one GO FIND your dream again.*
NINE. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely. *OK, you know I have to say something about this. When you are young, it is SO easy to love deeply and passionately. It's only after you have been burned two or three times that you start holding back; fear of pain is a powerful deterrent. That's why my gastric bypass operation worked so well and why people tend to take REALLY GOOD CARE of their teeth after a trip to the dentist. One thing that works well if you find you are too frightened is to just give yourself some time. Kinda like the dentist thing...where after about 6 months you stop brushing after EVERY meal and only brush at bedtime. Or like Childbirth...there is NO PAIN on earth like trying to push a bowling ball through a hole the size of a quarter. But you forget after awhile...the pain fades and you start thinking, "Gee, maybe I could do that again." *
TEN. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling. *and no threatening to leave!*
ELEVEN. Don't judge people by their relatives. *But you CAN tell how a man/woman will treat you by how they treat their relatives*
TWELVE. Talk slowly but think quickly. *I should have this one tattooed on my forehead so I could see it every morning when I look in the mirror. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, gets me in trouble like this big mouth of mine!*
THIRTEEN. When someone asks you a question you don't want to answer, smile and ask, "Why do you want to know?" *however, if you are going to use this one...just remember that they just might ANSWER that question. And then you've got this DEEP discussion you NEVER wanted to be involved in in the first place. EWWW! Sometimes it's just better to say, "Let's talk about that later, shall we?" and pray that they FORGET the entire subject.*
FOURTEEN. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk..
FIFTEEN. Say "bless you" when you hear someone sneeze. *unless it's really loud and scary! Then you say "HOLY COW! What was THAT?!?!"
SIXTEEN. When you lose, don't lose the lesson. *am I allowed to say AMEN?*
SEVENTEEN. Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; and responsibility for all your actions. *If I can raise my kids to follow these three rules, I will have considered my life a success.*
EIGHTEEN. Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship. *I've learned that sometimes you have to forgive someone even if they are NOT sorry and let the entire issue go. Holding a grudge hurts not only you, but your entire family."
NINETEEN. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it. *SO hard to do! I still have days when I say "DOH!" and promptly stick my head in the sand...*
TWENTY. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice. *Even when the rest of your face isn't smiling, if the corners of your mouth turn up, you will sound cheerful on the phone. Take it from me, I'm a receptionist who talks on the phone for a LIVING.*
TWENTY-ONE. Spend some time alone. *The operative word here being "some"...not "all", not "most", not "alot"...only SOME! Even if you do not believe me, there is someone out in this world SOMEWHERE who needs YOU. The little kids in the SMART program, Mrs. Snow down at the senior center, the local soup kitchen or homeless shelter. Someone will ALWAYS benefit from your presence on this earth. I promise...*

No comments: