Friday, April 17, 2009

PAD 17 - All I want...

Today, Robert's assignment is to "write a poem with the following title: "All I want is (blank)," where you fill in the blank with a word or phrase of your choosing. Some example titles, then, could be: "All I want is to eat fried chicken"; "All I want is world peace"; "All I want is for everyone to tell me I'm beautiful"; or "All I want is a handful of quarters."

Some great examples he has there! Stole all my ideas! HA....NOT.

All I want...is my four back teeth.

Thought about writing a poem this fine day,
in a serious, sad or melancholy way.
But discovered as I pondered that my brain was in high gear
working on a version of a poem I hear once a year.

As a child my dad would sing to me his favorite Christmas song
'bout a little kid that whistles cuz his two front teeth are gone.
Well, I don't exactly whistle but I've got the same dilemma,
Several back teeth that hurt me and four that are gone forevah.

I'm only forty-two and my choppers are falling out.
They crumble and disentigrate...what IS that all about?
I can't afford the fake ones, although they would be kinda handy.
Plus I wouldn't have to worry 'bout an ache when I eat candy.

And I could take them OUT to brush them before I went to bed
Make sure I got every piece so my breath wouldn't knock 'em dead.
My new ones would be pretty, not like the ones I have right now;
All yellow and grey and patched and stained, sometimes I wonder HOW!

Yes, my new teeth would be pure mouth Bling, all shiny, straight and white.
I would smile so big as the slightest thing and be a beacon in the night.
Yet I pity my dear sweet partner, for when he crawls in bed
He'll have to turn and look at me with my lips sucked back in my head.

No comments: