Saturday, June 02, 2007

Tunes Meme Courtesy A.D.

Ambulance Driver did a meme on his page. He is such a good sport about it. So I thought I would pick this one up and throw it out there into my little ballfield of Blogworld.

I also figured out that I am JUUUUSSST slightly older than the A.D.; He says he "turned eighteen in 1986" ~ unfortunately, even though he's younger, I think he's wiser.

Anyway, here's how you play...

1. Go to the Billboard #1 Hits listings
2. Pick the year you turned 18
3. Get yourself nostalgic over the songs of the year
4. Pick 5 songs and write something about how these songs affected you
5. Pass it on to 5 more friends

Here it is...the top 5 for 1984!

1) I Can't Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar. Number 13 on the list for 1984, but number one in my heart. Also my theme song. Cuz I can't. You know...uhhh, drive 55.

2) Let's Hear It For The Boy - Denise Williams. Totally boppin' little song. My boyfriend may not be perfect or rich, but he loves me and that's what counts. At least that's what I thought when I was a teenager. :D
JUST KIDDING!!!

3) Like A Virgin - Madonna. As a "good" little Independent Baptist girl starting to go slightly "wild", this song was, shall we say, SHOCKING! Using the "V" word over the airwaves..OH MY GOODNESS! The next year, I volunteered as an assistant volleyball coach at the local middle school and had to ride to an away game on the bus with about 15 12and 13-year old girls. They sang this song OVER and OVER and OVER for the entire 30 minute bus ride. I hid the cassette tape for the trip home (you remember those? cassette tapes?) and it didn't matter, they sang it A'Cappella!
Just because it was "nasty".

4) Footloose - Kenny Loggins. I loved this one because I loved the MOVIE! What upright Baptist Girl who wasn't allowed to wear pants, dance, drink, cuss or smoke COULDN'T love "Footloose"? Yep, that's right. I didn't even get to go to a prom - because it was a DANCE. And you know what DANCING leads to, don't you?
Plus, Kevin Bacon is a Hunny with a capitol "H". Still is!!

5) Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper. And my OTHER theme song.

One of my favorite artists of the season was Weird Al. The take off he did on #5 called "Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch" was HILARIOUS! Then there was "Eat It" making fun of Michael Jackson. The man is a lyrical genius.

The hardest part of this meme was picking JUST FIVE! I loved most of them! Still do.
Except for the "99 Luftballons". I have never understood WHAT is up with that song!
Some of my favs are...
I Want A New Drug - Huey Lewis and the News
We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister
Against All Odds - Phil Collins
Legs - ZZ Top
I Just Called To Say I Love You - Stevie Wonder
Holding Out For A Hero - Bonnie Tyler
AND Jump - Van Halen.

Makes me wanna go CRANK up the Bass and cruise "The Gut".

I'm supposed to tag five people I guess. SO I pick...

You, and You, and you, and you and that other guy.
Have at it if you wanna! :D

1 comment:

Ambulance Driver said...

Janean, 99 Luftballoons was a cold war protest song, written by a guy who saw a bunch of balloons released at a Rolling Stones concert. He imagined the balloons being picked up on Germany's radar and being mistaken for enemy fighter planes, then escalating into a nuclear war. So he wrote a song about it.

Yeah, Germans do think of some weird crap.