Sunday, May 06, 2007

Rescue me - PS 17


If you'd like to join Psalm Sunday, we are on Chapter 17 this week and our hostess is Butterfly Kisses. The more, the merrier. It is always a blessing to read others' views and inspirations from the chapter.

I've posted part of the chapter here from Bible Gateway's New Living Translation ~


6 ...I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God.

Bend down and listen as I pray.


7 Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways. By your mighty power you rescue those who seek refuge from their enemies.


8 Guard me as you would guard your own eyes. Hide me in the shadow of your wings.


9 Protect me from wicked people who attack me, from murderous enemies who surround me.


10 They are without pity. Listen to their boasting!


11 They track me down and surround me, watching for the chance to throw me to the ground.


12 They are like hungry lions, eager to tear me apart— like young lions hiding in ambush.

The first part of the chapter, David talks about how honest he is; how he invites the Lord to search his heart and see that he is upstanding.
That is something I would never do. Because I have skeletons in the closets of my heart; things I have done that are too scary to look at. Of course I have said sorry to my Heavenly Father and of COURSE He has forgiven me. The key comes in the fact that I have a hard time forgiving myself. And so those skeletons remain.
I don't deserve God's help. I am sinful in more ways than anyone could name. But you know what?
I don't HAVE to DESERVE His help!! I don't have to be good enough or smart enough or rich enough or give enough or smile enough or sing enough.

He loves ME! And He will help me when I call. This I know. How do I know?

You expected me to say "Because the Bible tells me so", didn't you?!? :D

I know from personal experience. After all He has done for me, especially in the last two years, there is NO way I could say that He isn't right there when I need Him. All that "rough" stuff, the hard times in my life have taught me to turn to Him first off.

When the "lions" of verse 11 and 12 show up, circling and snarling, I holler HELP!
I have learned that I am weak and I cannot do this life on my own. But I CAN do it with God.

When morning breaks to show all four tires on my car slashed by teenagers in the night - I say "HELP". I have to just leave that one up to You, Lord.
When my children cry because I have to go to work and leave them - I say "HELP". I cannot deal with this, Father. The human mommy in me just wants to walk away from my job and stay home with them, no matter what happens.
When the electricity is shut off because I can't pay what they want - I say "HELP", Lord. Show me where to go, who to talk to to get the help I need.
When I am feeling overwhelmed and exhausted - I cry "HELP". I close my eyes and in my mind, I go sit on His lap for a few minutes of peace and comfort. It works wonders.

He cares about the little stuff and He cares about the big stuff. He loves you, you are invaluable as His child. You are worth it. You are worth asking for help, but we can never be worthy of Him. That makes each blessing so amazing; such a gift. All I can do is say "Wow. Thank you!"

No comments: