Sunday, February 18, 2007

I feel like I'm 17 again...

AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY!
Excuse me here while I sound off just a little.
SCHOLARSHIP applications.
What is up with that?

OH MY GOODNESS!

There, I feel better.
But seriously! These huge forms are the bane of every teenager's parents' existence and now I get to fill them out for ME. Which is a trick! My income is definitely within limits but I'm getting kinda tired of listing out my depressing financial situation OVER AND OVER forty-three ways from Sunday!

HEY PEOPLE. Look at the poor little single mommy struggling to survive! YAK! I hate doing that! Using my kids and my situation and all the nasty stuff that has happened in our lives as an "angle" to get financial aid for college. Ewwww!

Then we have the next section on the application:
"List your extra-curricular activities"
MY WHAT? That almost sounds naughty!
How about raising four kids? Is that extra-curricular?
"List your clubs, offices and leadership positions you have held in school, work or community environments. List the year, if known."
I am SO glad they added those last two words! Because I really don't remember what year I was "Equipment Manager" for the varsity volleyball team. Could be Nineteen-Aught-four?

AND Oooooo, here's a fun one...
"List Honors, Awards, recognitions and personal accomplishments."
BIRTHING FOUR KIDS ~ HElllooooo?!?
How about "Best of Show for Chocolate fudge, county fair" or "Gastric bypass patient ~ lost 185 lbs". Then there is the Valentines' day dinner for 100 that I organized one year at church. Do those qualify?

Somehow, I don't think that's what the scholarship committee is looking for.

Got my high school transcripts to include with these magnanimous applications. There was some REALLY interesting information on there! Things you don't really care about when you were 17 and just praying that the diploma was actually SIGNED that June night they placed it in your hot little hand.
Like the fact that my overall GPA was 3.35. Or that I was 14th in a class of 45.

Then, my friends, the most challenging part of the entire process.

Dun, duh duh, DUUUUUNNN!
The ever-famous ESSAY QUESTIONS!

OH. MY.

"Why have you chosen your selected field?"
then in small print underneath, it says..." you may want to CONSIDER discussing the qualities you possess to be successful in this field and the skill needed to achieve your ultimate goal."

YA' THINK???!!

Here's another good one:
"Explain how you have helped your family or made your community a better place to live. Provide specific examples."
OR
"Describe a challenge or obstacle you faced in the last ten years. What did you learn about yourself from this experience."

Yes, those are actual questions I answered for my state administrated Scholarship fund application.

And on that last one, here's the way I answered (in part...)

"...From this experience, I learned that one can keep going long after you think you no longer can.
I learned that I have more friends than I ever dreamed.
I learned that if I am persistent and steadfast, I can reach the goals I set for myself.
Finally, I've learned that no matter how often I mess up, God never abandons me."

Oh yes, I did!
Well, thanks for listening to me rant here. Ya'll have a good day anyway. :D

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Well yea, your personal accomplishments should count. and dont forget all your life experience and maturity. Right?! Most kids starting out for college have no clue on life. List 'em. List 'em all!!

Kathy said...

You were placed in a very difficult circumstance through no fault of you own. God has already brought you this far. Allow God to use these experiences to help you move further along the path He has put you on. Hopefully those reading your applications will see not just a story but a testimony.

Praying.