Thursday, January 11, 2007

TT 15 - Some of my fav reads

A couple weeks back I thought about doing a TT on my favorite books. It has been really hard to narrow it down to 13...and I actually didn't, as you will see. Also, these are not my ONLY favorites, just the first thirteen that popped into my mind. Which is like a sieve these days, by the way. So I had to write them down on paper.

I hope I can remember what they are about so I can give you at least a little run down for each one. Ummm, lemme see...

1) As you'll be able to tell from the rest of my list, I'm not real big into fiction. But one of my ABSOLUTE Favorites is the Left Behind Series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. Which is actually 13 books all in itself (or 14 now, I can't remember) and I own all of them except the last one that was actually a prequel. I've also seen the movie they made of the first book. I heard there was a movie out on the second book, but I haven't seen that one yet.
This series starts right off with what happens when the Rapture occurs and the rest of the books follow the characters through the 7 year tribulation.
2) Love Comes Softly by Janet Oke. This is actually another series..of 4. The best description for these books is an overtly Christian kind of Little House On The Prairie. I can definitely relate to Marty, the main character. I've seen the movie made from this book, as well.
3) One Who Believed by Dr. Robert Pamplin Jr. This awe-inspiring book is a compilation of stories of incredible faith. I could hardly put it down. Which was a good thing, because I found it in a motel room at a ranch that had NO TV! I would have been bored out of my skull if it weren't for this awesome book. And NO I didn't steal it. The hotel was closing and so I asked for a copy of the book. She gladly gave it to me.
4) Little Buddy by Chris Seidman. "What a rookie father learned about God from the birth of his son." Lots of "oh, WOW" moments in this sweet little book.
5) All Creatures Great and Small series by James Harriot. Again, this is a series of 4 books following the life of a veterinarian in Scotland. Some of the stories were so funny, I laughed till I cried.
6) The Canadian West Series by Janet Oke. A sweet schoolteacher named Beth venturing out to a job in the "wilderness" of Canada vows she will never get involved with an uncivilized man from that country. Wynn the Royal Canadian Mounty changes her mind. Another series of 4.
7) Satan's Underground by Lauren Stratford. HOW I WISH this book were a piece of fiction. Not for the faint of heart, this book outlines the depravity that can occur with worship of the occult. It also shows the great and awesome power of God as he rescues her...but the terror and death along the way break your heart.
8) Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin. The first time I read this I didn't know what to think. I ADORE birth stories, but to read her tales where they refer to contractions as "rushes" and the other "hippy" jargon kind of seemed weird at first. But I have since read it twice more and found I become more attached to it each time I read it.
**Note - I could use some prayers here! I might have an opportunity to attend a midwifery conference in my state in March if I can scrape up the money to go. AND Ina May will be there!! I am praying so hard that God will grant this desire of my heart. I know...it's silly!**
9) Hearts and Hands by Elizabeth Davis. This is actually a midwifery textbook. The realism makes my midwifery dream seem so tangible. I have to say I don't agree with some parts because I am not the feminist that Ms. Davis is, but I appreciate her wisdom very much.
**She'll be at the conference as well!**
10) A Midwife's Story by Penny Armstrong. Great biography of Penny's time as a midwife to the Amish.
11) All I Ever Needed To Know I Learned In Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum. He has a humor that I really enjoy...And each story has a wisdom or a point to it that makes it extra special. Again, Lots of "OOoo WOW" moments. In fact, I think his book is where I learned that phrase!
He also has several others out like "It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It" and "Maybe...Maybe Not," but I think his first is my favorite.
12) Women's Devotional Bible 2 (NIV). Every time I open this book, I am hit between the eyes by something My Lord wants to say to me. Some days when I am really searching, I just let it fall open and read where the pages fall. I usually start with the devotion and then read the scripture reference...and then read a little farther..and then read another devotional...then read some more. It's addictive. :D
13) The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule. I enjoy all of her stuff...some more than others. Her Crime files volumes (10 so far) are interesting. The Stranger is written about her personal friendship with Ted Bundy. It must have been so terrifying to realize you had been friends with a serial killer and never known. I can relate to that...after all, I was married for 15 years to someone who's secret life I never knew about. It definitely makes you doubt yourself and your common sense.
Does the last one surprise you? That I like True Crime stories? I'm just weird that way, I guess.
Thanks for coming to visit. Leave me a comment so I can come visit you!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Im a huge fan of the left behind books as well. did you read the prequel?

Karianne said...

My mom and sis also read Ann Rule and I can't even get past the covers. Now that I think of it, I think that my brother reads her too. Way too scarey for me.

Rebekah said...

Love Comes Softly was one of my favorite books growing up. When I watched the movie I didnt remember as much of the story as I tought.
The qupte on my Blog page is from that movie

Rebekah said...

Thanks for your help. I copied and pasted the blog link you sent. Ah, what we have to go thru sometimes...ICK