Saturday, September 30, 2006

What Women should Have / Know (with my "comments")

Got this from a friend today on email. Although it has some good advice, I just felt like discussing some of the points and throwing in my two-cents-worth. Hope ya' don't mind...

And if you do, SORRY! :D It's my blog! You know I love ya' anyway...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
one old love she can imagine going back toÂ… and one who reminds her how far she has come...

OK...now this is a LITTLE tricky. I don't necessarily agree with this one. Because if you would go BACK to the old one, what are you doing with the new one in the first place? I know it doesn't sound like it sometimes, but I am ALL FOR enduring relationships! KEEP that old love...Remember that line in the vow "till DEATH do us part"? It doesn't say "till I get tired of your sorry butt" or "till I find something better".
Now, I'm not saying that new loves aren't cool (got one myownself). BUT if your heart is divided, are you doing the new love justice? Just a thought...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
enough money within her control to move out and rent a place of her own even if she never wants to or needs to...

I take this one to mean that you should never get yourself into a situation where you are trapped. If something heads south in your life, it always pays to have a backup plan. However, most of us live paycheck to paycheck and haven't had anything resembling a savings account since the one I had as a kid that was supposed to go for "college" and I cleaned out at 17 to rent my first "apartment" (if you can actually call it that...I'll spare you the gory details). Luckily, I have always had friends or family I could turn to if I got into trouble.

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
something perfect to wear if the employer or date of her dreams wants to see her in an hour...

Hmmmm, I think I need to go out and take this advice! At the risk of sounding like Scarlett O'Hara "I just don't have a THING to wear!"

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
a youth she's content to leave behind...and a past juicy enough that she's looking forward to retelling it in her old age...

WEEELLL, I think I have THIS one aced! There are some parts of my past I hope no one discovers (ESPECIALLY my children..YERK!). But I guess, if they do, maybe someone can learn from my stupidity and impulsive behavior.

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
a set of screwdrivers, cordless drill, and a black lace bra...

Saw this GREAT women's toolkit in a catalog the other day (I think it was Lillian Vernon) the hammer and drill were PINK! TOO cool! As for the black lace bra, I have trouble finding ANY bras in my size...much LESS Black or Lace. And most black lace bras have **gasp** UNDERWIRES. I don't do underwires.

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
one friend who always makes her laugh... and one who lets her cry...

I'm lucky! I have two tight friends who do BOTH.

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
a good piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in her family..

WHY??? I actually have several pieces of furniture that came from thrift stores and the pieces from my family are LOTS better.

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
eight matching plates, wine glasses with stems, and a recipe for a meal that will make her guests feel honored..

I'm lucky...my guests don't give a crap if they eat off paper plates and plastic cups as long as we are together. Another idea on this subject, maybe use the eight matching plates and the stem wine glasses on your FAMILY sometimes. Do it tonight...Surprise them. Heee Heee

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
a feeling of control over her destiny...

God has control over my life. I can ask and I can try but if it's not OK with Him, it just plain ain't gonna fly!

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW.
how to fall in love without losing herself...

This only comes with age and experience. Sink yourself ONE time into a relationship that "loses you" and you learn your lesson REAL quick. At least I hope you do! I think it took me a couple times to learn...but I CAN be slow.

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...
how to quit a job, break up with a lover, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship... and how to change a tire!!!!!!!

I have driven a semi and been a commercial fisherman....and I have never changed a tire. I probably should learn...then again, that's why God made eyelashes and tight pants. **BIG GRIN**
As for the other three, we all know HOW to do it...we just don't WANT to. There's a big difference. It's definitely NO FUN! I don't like confrontation...I'm a Libra. :D

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...
when to try harder... and when to walk away...

Again, this is a learned skill. And a bravery issue. Walking away is scary, BIGTIME. I think I learned this lesson via my ex. After two MAJOR trust violations, the decision was made inside me that no matter how much I love him I could no longer entrust him with my heart. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." FOOL being the operative word here.


EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...
that she can't change the length of her calves, the width of her hips, or the nature of her parents..

Ahhhh, Yes! The nature of your parents. As I have aged, I have come to simply say "Parents! Gotta love 'em...can't kill 'em; be glad you no longer have to live with 'em!" They have earned the right to voice their opinion about every aspect of your life because of the H-E-double chopsticks you put them through as a teenager.

About the legs and hips...there's always surgery.... **wink**

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...
that her childhood may not have been perfect...but its over...

WRONG! WRONG! Never lose that childhood. If your childhood was rotten, make a new one! Go to the park and swing. Play in the mud...dance in the rain...splash in a puddle (can you tell I live in ORegon? :D)

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...
what she would and wouldn't do for love or more...

and WHY should you have to do anything for love? You don't EARN it...it happens. It is (or should be) freely given and freely excepted. In fact, be VERY wary of a love you have to "do something for". YIKES!

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...
how to live alone... even if she doesn't like it...

Is there an "art" to living alone? Wouldn't it just entail a few applications of common sense? Being alone sucks, I agree with that (excuse my French). But we, as women, unfortunately do most of the work ANYWAY. So what would be the difference except learning to check our own oil and having one less person to clean up after? It could be a GOOD thing, ya' know...

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...
whom she can trust, whom she can't, and why she shouldn't take it personally...

I don't think this is possible. Sometimes, true, you get the willies about someone and you know you can't trust what they say. Or they prove that you can't trust them when you catch them in a little white lie. But sometimes...sometimes...you can live with someone for 17 years and NOT KNOW that they are capable of something so dastardly that common men take up arms over it. Sometimes you cannot know. And THAT, my friends, THAT is what you should not take personally. It is NOT your fault that another person chooses to make despicable choices. It is NOT your fault that others have no morals or scruples...save one circumstance. That is your children. Because we, as parents, have the responsibility to teach them right from wrong. (Where's that darn soap box?? Must be hidden under that pile of laundry!!) And if we fail in that, the next generation will suffer. BIG TIME.

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...
where to go when her soul needs soothing... be it to her best friend's kitchen table or a charming inn in the woods...

Or your own bedroom for a few minutes with a good book. My healing place is by the sea; wheeling gulls, warm sand under my bare feet, crashing waves, wind whistling in my ears. I can just close my eyes, stand there and be surrounded by the presence of God. This beach was created by Him; It has been and always will be. My problems seem so small; next week, next month, next year this problem will be gone. There are things in life more enduring...where do my priorities lie? My mentor's ashes are blended with the surf and sand here. All he stood for, how he lived and died are an inescapable reality here. God is good ALL the time!

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW... what she can and can't accomplish in a dayÂ… a month...and a year...

WOW, I bet you're glad this is the last one. I think I just needed this structure to channel my thoughts today.

What can I accomplish today? To smile at everyone I meet. To hug all my kids at least once. To tell MG how much I love and appreciate him. Of course I can set higher goals (e.g. laundry, dishes, vacuuming, dusting, ad infinitum) but you know what? Those chores will still be there tomorrow if I don't get them done today. My loved ones may not!

What can I accomplish in a month? Or a year? To try to raise my kids right. To honor my parents. To do what my God wants me to do. To do the best job I can for the company I work for. Of course I can set higher goals (e.g. education, a new car, painting the bathrooms, again ad infinitum). Priorities need to be set and re-examined.

I'm not saying I'm perfect. HECK, no!! As I write all this stuff out, I think, WOW! I should practice what I preach. I should have those daily "goals tattooed on my forehead in reverse so I see them every morning in the mirror and remember! Maybe that's most of the reason I blog...to bring this stuff out of my inner psyche and stick it in my own face. Ewww, that's kinda gross....sorry! But you get the idea.

Have a wonderful week, Ya'll! Mine looks to be pretty lowkey...we'll see how it plays out. Stay Tuned...

No comments: