Monday, January 08, 2007

Safe Haven

**NOTE - If you are pregnant or have a newborn and are needing HELP, skip down to the BOLD PURPLE LINES. And thank you from the bottom of my heart for coming to read my plea**

How can one be thankful and appalled at the same time? When this happens!Newborn Found on Nursing Home Steps.

At least this tiny life was spared! Now, this is an issue that is near and dear to my heart. It used to tear me apart (and STILL does!) to hear of a baby left to die on the beach or in a dumpster or in a box at a construction sight when my husband and I...and SO MANY OTHER people on this earth are (were) struggling with infertility. Now I have four children - and it still breaks my heart.
That's why I was OVERJOYED when my state passed the Safe Haven Law. When I heard it on the news, I called and called and called until I got the office of the state representative that sponsored the bill. I said "I WANT TO HELP! What can I do to get the word out about this?" After all it doesn't do any good to have the law if no one (especially the teenage girls who usually DO this) haven't heard about it!
Basically, what I was told is that there is no funding for advertising. If I were willing and able to solicit donations (e.g. fliers, billboard space, graphics design, etc) then that would help. But other than that, nada.
I couldn't...and I didn't.

This morning, as I awoke, the issue was brought afresh to my mind with the above linked news story. And I thought - "HEY! Some people read my blog. It might trigger a hit on a search engine for some girl/woman who is looking for information! This is a little something I can do!"

SO HERE'S MY SALES PITCH FOR THE LIFE OF A NEWBORN BABY!
If you are pregnant and don't want anyone to know...

If you think you can give birth, run away and no one will know...

If you think someone will find your baby in that garbage can or that lonely beach before he or she dies of exposure...

PLEASE RECONSIDER. GIVE THAT LITTLE LIFE A FIGHTING CHANCE! THERE IS A LAW THAT WILL LET YOU GIVE YOUR BABY TO SOMEONE RESPONSIBLE WITHOUT YOU GETTING INTO TROUBLE OR HAVING TO GIVE YOUR NAME.

The trick is, you have to take it to the right place! Like...

The Hospital.

The ambulance office.

The police station.

The fire station.

OR CONTACT ME! If you live in Oregon or Southwest Washington State, I'll come get that little one and make sure he or she is taken care of.

You can reach me at babykatcher207@yahoo.com.

Just PLEASE, PLEASE, don't leave that baby to die! I know you are scared and hurting, but it does not have to be the end of the world.

For more information on our Oregon Safe Haven program, goHERE.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a nice idea.

I always hurt for those babies too:(

Lizzie
A Dusty Frame
*thanks for linking to me*

Karianne said...

Great job being on the soapbox! That is what blogging is for. What a great cause.